Moroccan Lentil Stew

I keep hearing all of this news about global warming, but I must say that current DC weather conditions make it hard to believe. This past Wednesday was the first day of spring, and yet I saw snow flakes Thursday morning. There is something seriously wrong with this picture. Spring should mean warmer days with crisply cool evenings...not snow. As much as I love our environment and want to do everything to protect it (reduce, reuse, recycle!), I'm really a fan of warmer weather; so, a little global warming here and there can't hurt anyone, right?


Since the weather insists on staying in winter-mode, I figured I would keep making winter dishes. This Moroccan Lentil Stew is a delicious, hearty meal that will warm you from the inside out. Perfect for winter, or spring days that feel like the middle of winter.


This stew is loaded with wonderful flavors, all thanks to the many spices that the recipe calls for. There are some slightly sweet flavors, thanks to the sauteed onions and ground ginger, a hint of spice and heat from the cayenne pepper, and warming flavors from the cumin and Moroccan seasoning. It's a flavor party for your mouth, no doubt. The lentils, chickpeas, and tomatoes don't hurt your taste buds either. While I made this a vegetarian recipe, I think it would be amazing with chunks of beef or chicken. If the weather continues like this, I might just try this as a non-vegetarian dish. I'll keep you posted.

If you are also experiencing unseasonably cold weather, I encourage you to make this scrumptious stew. After all, if you can't beat the weather gods, might as well join them.

Moroccan Lentil Stew (adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen)
(4-6 servings)

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp Moroccan seasoning
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp seasoning salt 
3/4 cup carrots, chopped
6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups lentils
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
1 15-ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes
plain greek yogurt for serving

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onions until translucent and golden brown, or about 5 minutes. Add the ground ginger, minced garlic, cayenne pepper, cumin, Moroccan seasoning, ground pepper, seasoning salt, and carrots to pot. Saute all of the ingredients together until fragrant and carrots begin to soften, or about 4-5 minutes. Add more olive oil if needed.

Pour in broth, lentils, drained chickpeas, and diced tomatoes. Bring entire mixture to a simmer. Lower heat to medium-low, partially cover the pot, and let simmer for 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. When ready to serve, ladle mixture into bowls and top with plain greek yogurt.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 205.3
Total Fat: 5.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 504.0 mg
Total Carbs: 31.9 g
Fiber: 9.0 g
Sugars: 4.9 g
Protein: 8.3 g

Pros:
-Very easy to make
-Minimal dishes to clean
-Delicious, healthy, filling stew
-Versatile-add beef, pork, or chicken to stew for a heartier, non-vegetarian version, add other vegetables to stew, such as celery, cauliflower, or zucchini
-Great leftovers

Cons:
-Moroccan seasoning is necessary for this dish and might be hard to find at your local grocery store

Elaine

6 comments:

  1. I really like moroccan food. All the flavors.. .sitting in Starbucks right now and the have a cup you can buy for a dollar and it's a reusable comfort cup. Love less trash.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we could be great friends. We both love Moroccan food and the environment. And blogging, obviously. :)

      Delete
  2. I love lentils - I need to try this stew! And I hope the weather gets better for you - brrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you give this recipe a try! And thanks for the weather wishes...I'm really hoping for some spring weather very soon!

      Delete
  3. Made this stew last night and it was yummy--wonderful flavors without the high salt content more typical of bean stews! And, since I hadn't used the Guinness in my brownies, I drank it with the stew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you two enjoyed it! And I'm glad you found one way to use up the Guinness. :) I still have a bottle left; maybe I'll make some delicious treats to bring with me next weekend!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips