Strawberry Apple Baked Oatmeal

Saturday mornings are made for sleeping in, recovering from the week and/or Friday night, and full-fledged relaxing. So why the heck is my to-do list well on its way of being completed? It's not even noon yet! Please tell me what is wrong with me. Especially after such a hectic week, the only thing my body wants to do it relax, but my mind won't let me. This.is.not.okay.

So here I am, posting a recipe that I made earlier this morning. Yep; I made, baked, ate, photographed, and now blogged this Strawberry Apple Baked Oatmeal. In fact, as I'm typing this, I'm taking bites of my second serving in between typing every couple of words. Maybe this is my new version of relaxing? Being productive in more ways than one, all while still in my pjs? I guess it works.


Anywayyy, even if you do decide to indulge in a truly relaxing Saturday morning, this breakfast won't do much to take away from that. With only one bowl required, this easy recipe is mixed and ready for the oven in about 10 minutes. After baking and cooling, this delicious, hearty, healthy breakfast will make your taste buds, stomach, and waistline happy. And there will be plenty of leftovers, so you can count on a completely relaxing and lazy Sunday morning. Let's hope I'll be able to enjoy that tomorrow.


Strawberry Apple Baked Oatmeal (adapted from Inspired Taste)
(Serves 4-6)

2 cups old fashioned oats*
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon grated lemon peel (optional)
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 large apple, diced
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
2 cups milk**
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray, and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and lemon peel. Pour half of this mixture into the prepared 8x8 pan. Top with half of the strawberries and diced apples. Pour the remaining oat mixture on top of the fruit, then finish the layering process with the remaining fruit.

Using the same bowl that you mixed the dry ingredients in, add the egg and honey. Whisk until the ingredients are well combined. Add the milk and vanilla, and whisk for 30 seconds. Pour the liquid mixture over top of the fruit and oats in prepared pan. Shimmy the pan to make sure the liquid is evenly distributed and all of the oats are covered.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the oatmeal is set and golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving warm. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a week.

*You can use a combination of old fashioned oats and Irish Steel Cut Oatmeal.
**You can use dairy milk, soy milk, almond milk, or any milk of your choosing.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 186.6
Total Fat: 3.7 g
Cholesterol: 31.0 mg
Sodium: 266.5 mg
Total Carbs: 35.7 g
Fiber: 4.5 g
Sugars: 16.4 g
Protein: 5.1 g

Elaine

5 comments:

  1. Do you think this could be doubled in a 13 x 9 pan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I tweaked it a little to use what fruit we had on hand. I do think the salt could be 1/4 tsp and be enough. Also it would probably help to mix the salt with the wet rather than dry ingreds, as fine ingredients (salt, baking powder, etc.) don't mix very thoroughly with the bigger oats (the fine ingreds sink to the bottom), therefore I ended up with pockets of really salty bites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think that this would work with frozen strawberries?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was soo good. I want to start eating more oatmeal and was looking for a new recipe. Definitely will make again. Thank a for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, It look so yummy wanna try it. Thank for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips