Clean Eating Strawberry Banana Muffins

Omgosh I didn't think this day would ever come. Last night I wore my first sundress of the season. WITH flops. Yes. It was just days ago that I was wearing my Northface jacket, jeans, and long sleeves; thank the weather gods for finally giving us some warm weather and sunshine. The temperature is expected to reach close to 90 degrees in the DC area tomorrow, so we might just skip right over spring and go straight to summer--you won't hear any complaints from this girl. As long as I get to wear my dresses and flops, I'm happy happy.


With the sudden change in weather, I'm immediately reminded that bathing suit season is right around the corner. This is both good and bad: good because pools open, skin gets some much needed color, and it's more fun to drink a margarita in a bathing suit than jeans and boots; bad because those last few pesky pounds and muscles that need toning have less time to get in tip top shape.


Well I have one recipe that will help get your eating in line. These Clean Eating Strawberry Banana Muffins are the perfect breakfast, snack, or light dessert to eat when you are trying to control your appetite and calorie intake. Have you heard about clean eating? This lifestyle adjustment is centered around the idea of eliminating processed foods and refined sugars from your diet. That means no granulated or brown sugar, no white bread/pasta/rice, no store bought cookies/crackers/chips/snacks, and no ingredients with added chemicals or sugars. When I first tried clean eating a few years ago, I had to completely change my grocery store shopping habits. While it was a huge transition, the results made the struggles worth it. Along with these muffins, I plan on sharing a few more clean eating recipes with y'all to show you how easy clean eating can be.


But for now, let's get back to these easy and delicious muffins. This recipe is probably very similar to other low-fat muffin recipes that you've seen, except these do not call for sugar, salt, or all-purpose flour. By using ingredients that are considered "clean", these muffins are even better for your body and metabolism. And, there are no obscure ingredients that require you to go to a special store or order online! All of these ingredients can be found in your local grocery store. So, if you are looking for an easy, sweet but not to sweet, fresh muffin recipe to help you take that last step towards achieving your weight goal, give these muffins a try!

Clean Eating Strawberry Banana Muffins (adapted from The Gracious Pantry)
(12 muffins)

1 egg
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbsp safflower oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup nonfat plain Chobani yogurt
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

Add the egg, honey, oil, vanilla, almond milk, yogurt, and mashed bananas to a mixing bowl. Stir ingredients together until combined. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon and mix all of the ingredients together until no lumps remain. Be careful not to overmix. Fold in sliced strawberries.

Divide batter among muffin liners. Fill each muffin liner about 3/4 full. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the muffins in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 161.0
Total Fat: 3.2 g
Cholesterol: 15.5 mg
Sodium: 13.7 mg
Total Carbs: 31.6 g
Fiber: 3.1 g
Sugars: 14.6 g
Protein: 4.2 g

Pros:
-Very easy recipe
-Minimal dishes to clean
-Great for breakfast, a snack, or light dessert
-Good-for-you recipe without obscure ingredients
-Versatile-add different fresh or dried fruit based on what you have on hand

Cons:
-Aren't as rich and moist as traditional muffins--but what truly healthy things are?! And this is also a pro since they aren't as overly sweet and dense (unless you have a thing for super sweet, pound cake-like muffins)

Elaine

16 comments:

  1. EEK! I'm so excited, I have all of those ingredients in my pantry/fridge! (Except the safflower oil... oh well.) Definitely going to give these a try tomorrow :) PS Two thumbs up on the maxi dress and flopsss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ok; just use canola oil or vegetable oil! They'll be clean enough. :) And remember when we did the no refined sugars or processed foods a while ago? Definitely trying to get back into that!

      Delete
  2. Ahh the weather here in NC is supposed to reach 85 today! (On a Wednesday of course haha)

    I have to bring a dish to a work breakfast in a few weeks and this would be perfect!

    Could I substitute the safflower oil for another oil?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are getting a taste of summer already too! And you could absolutely substitute canola oil or vegetable oil for the safflower oil. In clean eating, they encourage you to only use olive oil and safflower oil because they are the "healthiest" fats. But using any mild flavor oil in place of the safflower oil would work just fine. Let me know if you try them!

      Delete
  3. I am all about healthy eating muffins lately. These are right up my alley, Elaine! I'm having a clean eating week and these would fit in wonderfully. No sugar or salt or white flour - perfect. Home-run recipe here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sally! With this warm weather we are getting, I've been more inclined to eat healthy. Definitely might try the clean eating for a little while (although I'm not sure how I'll be able to handle no real sweets!!).

      Delete
  4. Elaine, I would totally make these! They sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do make them, Shiloh!! Let me know if you do. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm SO ready for dresses and flip flops, too! Ans these muffins look to-die-for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a warm weather girl at heart. I could live in a sundress and flops all year!

      Delete
  6. Your muffins look delicious! I crave all things strawberry in the spring!!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There isn't anything much better than fresh berries! Very much looking forward to all of the fresh produce that will be available soon. :) Thanks for stopping by Leslie!

      Delete
  7. I need a little clean eating in my diet right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'll trade you some of these muffins for your fluffernutter RKTs!

      Delete
  8. I really should start doing more cleaning eating...summer is coming way too fast here too!!! The muffins look awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just made these yesterday and they are incredible!! I was out of Safflower oil so I just used canola oil and they turned out great. Thank you for this great recipe. I will be making a double batch of these later today to freeze half and bring some to worik because the ladies there still don't believe me when I tell them eating clean can be tasty. Thanks again for this yumminess. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips