Clean Eating Baked Spaghetti Squash

Got another clean eating post for ya! I know "clean", healthy recipes aren't as fun to read about as delicious, rich, full of calories dishes, but work with me; I promise to give you some indulgent recipes too.

As I've said in previous posts, I'm trying this whole clean eating thing. It's actually not that bad! Have you ever done it? It can seem overwhelming at first; but once you get the hang of what ingredients you should avoid, it's really easy to adjust most recipes to fit the clean eating diet.


In attempts to eat and feel better, I decided to give clean eating another try. I did a similar lifestyle change a few years ago and absolutely loved the results. I had ten times more energy than I ever had (even when I drank cups of coffee), my body looked and felt better, and my skin improved. So why not give this another try?!


This Baked Spaghetti Squash recipe is tasty, filling, and all clean. Spaghetti squash takes the place of pasta in this recipe, but everything else is like the typical baked spaghetti recipe that your mom used to make. This recipe is careful to avoid salt and high sodium ingredients, while focusing on fresh produce, healthy ground turkey, and flavorful herbs. If you've never tried spaghetti squash, I highly recommend it. While it takes a little while to prepare, the end results are definitely worth it. If you are still on the fence about clean eating or just want to a healthy dinner recipe idea, I suggest making this dish!

Clean Eating Baked Spaghetti Squash (adapted from The Gracious Pantry)
(4-5 servings)

1 medium spaghetti squash, prepared*
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped
1 container baby portabella mushrooms
1 tsp minced garlic
1 14.5-ounce container low sodium diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained
1 15-ounce container low sodium no sugar added tomato sauce
1 lb. 94% lean ground turkey
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup freshly shredded cheese (any kind will do)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 inch square pan with cooking spray.

Prepare spaghetti squash. Place spaghetti squash in a large bowl to cool.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the red onion and saute until soft, or about 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute together with red onion. Once the mushrooms start getting soft, add the minced garlic. Saute ingredients together for another minute and then remove from skillet and pour into the same bowl with the spaghetti squash. Pour in the drained fire roasted tomatoes and mix all of the ingredients together.

In the same skillet, add the ground turkey. Break up the turkey slightly. Add half of the can of tomato sauce, the onion powder, and the garlic powder to the turkey. Stir ingredients together. Allow the tomato sauce to simmer and cook the turkey until no pink remains.

Pour the turkey mixture and remaining tomato sauce into the bowl with all of the vegetables. Stir everything together until well mixed. Pour the mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle freshly shredded cheese on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until dish is heated through and cheese is melted. Cover with foil half way through if you don't want your cheese to brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

*Refer to this post for instructions on how to prepare your spaghetti squash.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 5
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 253.3
Total Fat: 10.8 g
Cholesterol: 68.5 mg
Sodium: 172.8 mg
Total Carbs: 21.0 g
Fiber: 5.1 g
Sugars: 11.6 g
Protein: 22.3 g

Pros:
-Simple list of ingredients
-Very tasty and filling
-Good for you (low in fat, calories, and sodium, while being high in fiber, protein, and vitamins)
-Versatile-add different fresh vegetables, such as peppers, to this dish, or use ground chicken instead of turkey

Cons:
-Total prep and baking time is over an hour (prepare spaghetti squash in advance to make meal more quickly)

Elaine

24 comments:

  1. I love spaghetti squash, you are so right about making it ahead of time! It's super easy to just pop one in while your baking chicken or potatoes!
    This looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made something very similar to this recipe a little while back and it looked delicious! I'm a huge fan of spaghetti squash too; what's not to love about it?!

      Delete
  2. Your posts about clean eating always make me want to go whip up a super healthy dinner :) Wishing I had a spaghetti squash in my apt right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you for introducing me to clean eating in the first place! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh...YES!! I love spaghetti squash but have never made it like a lasagna [that's kind of what it looks like to me], this looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a lot like lasagna, Steph! And it tastes just as hearty, without leaving you feeling achingly full after one piece. Let me know if you give it a try!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE spaghetti squash and ground turkey, so I will definitely be trying this! Thanks for the recipe!!

    -AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always amazes me how the spaghetti squash looks just like the real thing. Thanks for sharing about the clean eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That definitely helps fool our eyes into thinking we're eating something a lot more carby. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the tip on draining ground beef. That’s the part I hate about cooking bulk amounts of ground beef and I never thought of lining a bowl to catch the grease Techlazy.com Crazyask.com Howmate.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going shopping in two days and will definetly make these. I have a big muffin pan though. I enjoy low carb foods.Thanx for posting this !!UpdateLand

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!!
    Love your post. It's really amazing & helpful too. Being foodie i keep trying new dishes i tried this recipe & it turned out to be really tasty . Keep sharing :)
    Thank You & Regards
    Ankita





    bluehost black friday


    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great article for Bluehost Black Friday Deals. I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you want a really good pesto recipe, check out the recipe on Not Enough Cinnamon. Marie has a whole blog full of fabulous recipes, and she is the one who taught me how to make my own peanut butter. And almond butter. Highly recommended.
    Joseph Donahue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this roundup idea! I am making a “basics” cookbook for a few of my girlfriends who are getting married this summer. Definitely going to include some of these ideas!
    Kelly Hubbard


    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this for dinner tonight and omg is this INCREDIBLE. I subbed the chicken broth for veggie broth to make it vegetarian and I am sure it tastes just as good — if not better! I am definitely saving this and making it again. And again. Thanks for the post!
    Holly Hooper

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your article. It's a good piece of work and I want to tell you, Well Done!
    test automation best practices

    ReplyDelete
  14. HIV positive.Last months,i saw an article on the internet on how this great spiritual,herbal healer used supernatural powers to heal someone from HIV VIRUS,CANCER,and some other deadly diseases.I was HIV positive and i was very scared coz I know that the disease was a lifetime virus,I had no choice than to go searching for a solution to my predicament online.So I copied out the Dr Ose the traditional healer 's email id: droseherbalcenter@gmail.com and contacted him.I will say he is a blessing.When i contacted him,Dr ose instructed me to do certain things which i did.14days later Dr Ose sent me an email to go and do a new HIV test in any Hospital,i went to a hospital to check my status,i was surprised,the lab technician said that the test is HIV Negative [-ve] I went to another hospital again just to be sure and behold the test result was still absolutely Negative [-ve].My simple way of showing my gratitude to him is to refer anyone with similar issues to reach him and have your problem solved.
    #GodblessAmerica
    HERE ARE THE CURE HE ALSO LISTED ON HIS WEBSITE
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER ALL KINDS
    4. ALS
    5. Hepatitis A,B,C
    6. Diabetes
    7. HPV
    8. Coronary Artery Disease (Ischemic Heart Disease)
    9. Alopecia
    10.Bipolar disorder
    11.Bed wetting
    12.Carpal tunnel syndrome
    13. Celiac disease
    14.Ear Infections
    15. Endometriosis
    16.Epilepsy
    17.Chlamydia
    18.Syphilis
    19.Gonorrhea

    ReplyDelete
  15. Salesoperator is the multi channel listing software. Sales operator online tools help you to manage your store, get more leads and sales, and save time on your tasks.

    multi channel order fulfillment software | multi channel shipping management

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you i greatly appreciate your advice, will it be nice and high with one quantity if i exclude the raspberry glee? and is this mixture firm once set? i have made mini cheescakes before but was never successful . 🙁
    Paul Brown

    ReplyDelete
  17. The platform allows passengers to check their flight status, add extra baggage, and request special assistance. The Singapore Airlines Manage Booking platform is a simple and efficient way for passengers to make changes to their travel plans and ensure a seamless travel experience.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips