Pasta with Creamy Avocado Sauce

Omgosh, I've been dying to post this recipe. I actually made this right before I began my detox, so I had to finish my detox posts before I could share how glorious this recipe is. Unfortunately, I've been slammed this week (a couple of 14 hour days will make a girl plop down, face first on her bed and neglect everything, including her blog), so I'm just now getting around to finally sharing this deeelicious pasta recipe.

Let me back up and say that I am a marinara sauce girl. Vodka sauce is good because there is marinara sauce mixed in, but I've never been one to love alfredo sauce or any other heavy cream sauces on pasta. The thought of clogging my arteries with every bite is enough to make me avoid those dishes all together. So when I saw the description "creamy avocado sauce", I was a bit hesitant. However, my love for avocados won me over and I bought the ingredients to make this simple dish.

And I cannot express how glad I am that I did try this dish. Not only was the sauce a cinch to make, but it probably took the same amount of time as it would if I had struggled opening a jar of store bought crap. But that's not even what makes this sauce so amazing--the taste is out of this world incredible. The sauce is fresh, delicate yet rich, and full of flavor. It reminds me of a homemade pesto, but without the pine nuts. The freshly squeezed lemon juice, minced garlic, fresh basil, and perfectly ripe creamy avocado blend together to make a sauce that tastes of summer. It's not often that you can make something so fresh in the dead of winter, and that's enough to make this dish a winner in my (recipe) book.


Thank you Pasta with Creamy Avocado Sauce for breaking me of my boring marinara rut. I may never go back to the red stuff ever again!

Pasta with Creamy Avocado Sauce (adapted from Greatist)
(Serves 2)

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium lemon, juiced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
handful of fresh basil leaves
1 medium ripe avocado, pitted
6-8 ounces of whole wheat pasta

Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Boil pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and basil leaves to a food processor. Pulse until ingredients are combined, making sure to scrap the bottom and sides. Add the avocado and process until a smooth sauce is formed.

Once pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to a bowl. Pour avocado sauce on top and toss until pasta is covered. Serve immediately.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 2
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 573.0
Total Fat: 28.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 582.2 mg
Total Carbs: 82.8 g
Fiber: 13.2 g
Sugars: 0.6 g
Protein: 13.4 g

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips