Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies

I think I'm just as seasonally confused as mother nature seems to be. I swear the calendar says it is spring, but there was still snow on the ground a few days ago. And regardless that it is officially spring, I'm in a fall state of mind. Go figure. I think I'll blame mother nature for this one.

Despite being completely confused as to what season it really is and whether we will see snow or sun tomorrow, I have decided to just go along with the unseasonably wet and cold beginning of spring and act like it is fall. What better way to celebrate fall than by baking with pumpkin? However, I haven't totally forgotten that bikini season is right around the corner, so I'm baking something relatively healthy that is stocked full of fall flavors. Are you thoroughly confused now?


It's ok, join the confusion club. Make these Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies and you'll feel better, I'm sure. While these breakfast cookies don't scream spring, they are stocked full of textures and flavors that are great to enjoy for breakfast just about any time of year. These cookies, which can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or whenever you choose, are just sweet enough that they don't taste healthy, but aren't overloaded with refined sugar. The pumpkin puree, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice add a boost of flavor that complements the hearty oats and whole wheat flour perfectly. And if you want to get adventurous, add some chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, or (my favorite) cinnamon chips to the cookie dough.


So, go ahead and spice up your spring a little with these seasonally confused but oh-so-delicious Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies.

Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies (adapted from Love From The Oven)
(About 24 cookies)

1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour*
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups old fashioned oats
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
1/2 cup cinnamon chips (or chocolate chips, nuts, or other mix-ins)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a Silpat mat or parchment paper and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, add the pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla extract. Beat these ingredients until everything is combined. In another bowl, mix together the flours, oats, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir until all of the dry ingredients are mixed together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and slowly mix together until everything is well combined. Fold in the cinnamon chips (or other mix-ins of your choosing).

Scoop large spoonfuls of dough (about 2 tablespoons) and place on cookie sheet. Slightly flatten the cookie dough with the back of your spoon. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the cookies are set. Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

*You can substitute all-purpose flour if you do not have whole wheat flour.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info 
Servings Per Recipe: 24
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 110.7
Total Fat: 2.3 g
Cholesterol: 15.5 mg
Sodium: 56.4 mg
Total Carbs: 22.0 g
Fiber: 2.3 g
Sugars: 9.3 g
Protein: 3.0 g

Elaine

4 comments:

  1. You're seriously a mind reader. This morning i saw a can of pumpkin in my pantry and wondered what I should do with with/if I can still make pumpkin things when it's basically April. I should have known pumpkin is always good... and since it snowed here a few days ago too (!!!!) I guess it's legit :) I'll let you know how they go! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking at the plates you gave me and they are sooo pretty, and photograph really well (obviously). You are THE BEST! :) Hope you're loving these cookies--yours looked so good with chocolate chips!

      Delete
  2. Pumpkin anytime sounds good to me--I've been missing it! And these cookies look like they'd be great anytime too, if they make it past breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so good for breakfast, I just had them for lunch and dinner. Good thing they relatively healthy!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips