Ham and Sauteed Apples

There is something about the combination of ham and apples that makes my mouth water. Ever since I was a kid, I've always loved ham paired with sweet  fruits and sauces. In particular, I had to order this ham dish served with raisin sauce at this restaurant that my family would go to. I would practically beg my parents to go there on a weekly basis just so I could get my ham and sweet raisin sauce fix.


Unfortunately, that restaurant has since closed and I have not found a recipe that is as good as my memories of that dish. But this dinner is certainly a close second. While I did not have any raisins on hand, a handful of golden raisins would have been a delicious addition. Even without the raisins, the warm, sauteed apples covered in sweet, caramel-y melted butter all piled on top of slightly salty and chewy ham was out of this world.


Growing up in the south, baked apples and ham are a staple at many potlucks, cookouts, and parties. You can usually find a side of cheese grits and collards on the table too. If you don't have a thing for grits or collards, then bless your heart. But you could serve this dish with rice, quinoa, broccoli, or just about any of your favorite sides. Or just do what I did and have double servings of ham and apples. You won't miss any of the green stuff when you have the dynamic duo of ham and sweet apples!

Ham and Sauteed Apples
(2-3 servings)

8 ounces thin cut, lean pork chops or ham
2 large apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
salt and pepper to taste
optional: 1/4 cup golden raisins

Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Lay ham in skillet, heat over medium heat, and brown on both sides.

Meanwhile, add butter and brown sugar to another pan. Heat over medium heat and mix until butter is melted. Add sliced apples and saute for about 4-5 minutes, or until apples are soft. Add browned pork chops to apple mixture, lower heat to medium-low, and let simmer for about 5 minutes.

Serve warm over rice or quinoa.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 3
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 298.2
Total Fat: 9.8 g
Cholesterol: 60.7 mg
Sodium: 621.7 mg
Total Carbs: 43.9 g
Fiber: 2.5 g
Sugars: 39.1 g
Protein: 13.6 g

Pros:
-Easy to make
-Ready in less than 30 minutes
-Delicious, comfort dinner
-Simple list of ingredients

Cons:
-High in sodium and sugar

Elaine

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips