Apple Cream Cheese Muffins

It's been a while since I've made a skinny sweets recipe. I blame the upcoming holidays and the array of glorious dessert recipes that I could make. Oh Thanksgiving and Christmas, my taste buds love you but my waistline hates you.


To bring skinny sweets back in the mix, I made these Apple Cream Cheese Muffins. I know what you are thinking...these muffins have cream cheese and a streusel topping, how can they be skinny?! Well, I'm so glad you asked! The muffin batter has no fat. Zip, zero, none. The muffins get their moisture from light apple juice (I purchased a bottle that is made with splenda) and fat free apple cinnamon yogurt. Also, because the apples, apple juice, and yogurt are sweetened with natural sugars, there is only 1/2 cup of sugar in the muffin batter. Sweet and skinny-my favorite combination!


Now, the cream cheese filling and streusel topping are optional, but seriously recommended. The apple muffins would be delicious and super skinny as is, but who doesn't want to add a little oomph to their muffins? What better way to add oomph of flavor than with a cream cheese filling? I used low fat cream cheese, but fat free cream cheese would work fine too (and would make these even skinnier!). And the streusel topping adds some serious crunch and sweetness without adding a ton of fat or calories.


These muffins are a great addition to any breakfast spread. Pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to heat them up and you have a quick and easy breakfast that you can take on the go. And with less than 180 calories and 4 grams of fat per muffin, you might as well grab a couple for the road!

Apple Cream Cheese Muffins (adapted from AllRecipes)
(12 muffins)

Apple Muffins:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup light apple juice or light apple juice cocktail
1/4 cup fat free apple cinnamon yogurt (I used Chobani)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 large apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped

Cream Cheese Filling:
4 ounces low fat (Neufchatel) cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tbsp light apple juice or light apple juice cocktail

Streusel Topping:
3 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line regular muffin tin with muffin liners.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix ingredients together. Add apple juice, yogurt, egg, and vanilla. Stir ingredients together until incorporated, careful not to over mix. Fold in chopped apples. Set mixture aside.

To make cream cheese filling, add cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of juice to a bowl. Stir ingredients until well mixed.

To make streusel topping, add brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter to a bowl. Stir together with a fork until crumbly and butter is mixed through.

To assemble muffins, spoon a tablespoon of muffin batter into each muffin liner. Top each with about 2 teaspoons of cream cheese filling. Top cream cheese filling with remaining muffin batter. Sprinkle streusel topping on each muffin.

Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire wrack. Serve warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container for 2-3 days.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 177.2
Total Fat: 3.6 g
Cholesterol: 25.2 mg
Sodium: 102.9 mg
Total Carbs: 37.1 g
Fiber: 1.2 g
Sugars: 20.2 g
Protein: 4.2 g

Pros:
-Easy to make
-Low in fat, light in texture, and not lacking in flavor
-A delicious fall breakfast or snack
-Pretty presentation
-Versatile-if you love nuts, fold in a few chopped nuts into the muffin batter and add some to the streusel topping

Cons:
-High in sugar
-Lots of dishes to clean

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5

Check out some of the link parties that I shared this recipe on!

23 comments:

  1. These sound amazing! I think my kids would love 'em! Thanks for sharing 'em at my Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! They are pretty amazing. :)

      Delete
  2. Loving these muffins with their cream cheesy center! Definitely something I wish I was eating for breakfast right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make an awesome breakfast! The cream cheese center and streusel topping are sooo freaking amazing. Definitely the best breakfast I've had in a while. :)

      Delete
  3. I love that chobani apple cinnamon yogurt! so glad you used it in this recipe Elaine. I love using yogurts and applesauce in baked items as low fat substitutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you do. :) I learn from the best! And the apple cinnamon is one of my favorite Chobani flavors. So good!

      Delete
  4. Alright Elaine these look so tasty, I am going to make these for Thanksgiving morning! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! You're going to love them Pamela! And I think they will be just as tasty with whole wheat flour. :)

      Delete
  5. Yum! these are perfect for Fall. I'm adding them to my list of things to make now.

    -Tiara

    http://icecreamandfrenchfries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great fall muffin. I hope you enjoy them Tiara! :)

      Delete
  6. These look fabulous! And a wonderful way to enjoy the fall flavors without extra fat and calories. I'd love for you to share this at Tuesday's Table for the Holidays - http://zentmrs.blogspot.com/2012/11/tuesdays-table-holiday-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I'd love to share these. Thanks for sending me the link!

      Delete
  7. This is the perfect breakfast muffin...especially during the holidays when I need to be eating light somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was aiming for. If I eat these for breakfast, then I justify eating extra pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and all of the other good stuff! :)

      Delete
  8. I love using yogurt in baking! These muffins sound highly addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! It adds lots of flavor and moisture all while keeping things low-fat. It's my go to for making skinny sweets!

      Delete
  9. Delicious! I love the cream cheese center idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tonia! The cream cheese center is my favorite detail because it's a fun, little surprise. :)

      Delete
  10. I cannot wait to make these! I love using greek yogurt in baking and I can't believe you were able to substitute all of the fat with more healthy ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Substituting yogurt for fat in my recipes is a life saver. I have a major sweet tooth, so I'm always looking for ways to make sweets skinny. These were a winner! And you can't even tell they are healthy-the best kind of skinny treat. :)

      Delete
  11. HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
    2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931 ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips