Grammy's Creamy Cheesecake

Traditions are a pretty cool thing. Traditions are something special that unites a group of people and gives them a special memory to share. For example, as I type this, I'm watching the Duke v. OSU basketball game. While this specific game has no special significance (except that I want to be able to brag to all my Buckeye friends that we beat them!), watching Duke basketball has been something that I grew up doing and love sharing with fellow Dukies. My dad, who stands at 6 foot 7 inches and was a pretty awesome basketball player himself, taught me all I know about basketball and Duke sports. As a treat growing up, he would take me to some of the Duke women's basketball games. I thought I was the coolest kid going to Cameron Indoor Stadium, staying out late on a school night, and cheering for the Blue Devils with my dad. Memories and traditions, they are a great thing.


Just like the amazing memories associated with Duke basketball, there are many great memories associated with this dessert. This cheesecake recipe was originally made my by grandmother and has been a favorite in our family for years. Unlike most cheesecakes that I (and I assume most people) have had, this cheesecake does not call for any flour. Translation: this is one of the creamiest cheesecakes you will ever eat. While it's size and height might not be as impressive as those found at the Cheesecake Factory, the taste trumps anything I've ever had at a restaurant.


And not only is this cheesecake extra creamy and decadent, it is also light and not overly rich. This is a mighty hard balance to achieve, but this recipe somehow does it, and does it perfectly. While this dessert requires plenty of refrigeration time after it's baked, the prep couldn't be easier: make the crust (or buy one pre-made...I won't tell anyone), add the filling ingredients to a food processor and blend until it's smooth, bake, pour the sour cream topping over top, bake a little longer, and that's it! I promise the hardest part about this recipe is waiting for it to cool before you can eat it.


Eat a slice of this heavenly cake unadorned (my favorite way) or top it with your favorite fruits. Either way, this easy and delicious recipe will surely become a family favorite and tradition in your household!

Grammy's Creamy Cheesecake
(8-12 servings)

Graham cracker crust:
1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4-1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

Cream cheese filling:
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
2 eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Sour cream topping:
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix graham cracker crumbs with sugar and 1/4 cup melted butter. Add more melted butter as needed until crumbs begin to stick together. Press crumbs into the bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan.

To make the filling, beat the cream cheese in a mixer or food processor until smooth. Mix in the eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Cream until mixture is completely smooth and no lumps remain.

Pour filling into graham cracker crust and bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make sour cream topping by mixing sour cream, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and vanilla together. After cheesecake has baked for 20 minutes, remove it from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes. Next, carefully spread the sour cream over top of cheesecake. Return cake to hot oven and bake 10 more minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Put in refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 327.3
Total Fat: 22.9 g
Cholesterol: 91.2 mg
Sodium: 197.6 mg
Total Carbs: 26.6 g
Fiber: 0.3 g
Sugars: 19.9 g
Protein: 5.3 g

Pros:
-Delicious and creamy without being overly rich or heavy
-Very easy to make
-Simple list of ingredients (could even use pre-made crust)
-Prep and bake time less than an hour
-Crowd pleaser
-Versatile-use different cookie crumbs for crust, add various fresh fruit or fruit toppings to baked cheesecake

Cons:
-Must plan in advance to chill the cheesecake
-High in fat (could use low fat cream cheese and sour cream to reduce this)

Check out some of the link parties that I shared this recipe on!

This is the tenth week of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats blog hop hosted by Meal Planning Magic! Can't believe it's almost over! Check out the recipes other bloggers are sharing by clicking on the pictures below.




32 comments:

  1. Man, I used to think your blog was fabulous...I was was raised on Tarheel Basket ball Hehe.

    Just kidding of course, and your cheesecake looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha uh oh! Big rivals! That's one of the great things about ACC basketball-the Duke/UNC rivalry-so I'm used to the animosity. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow-this looks amazing! I LOVE cheesecake and this looks great! I want some now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite cheesecake recipe! Hands down!

      Delete
  3. This looks really good. I love how it is in honor of your grandmother's cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen :) I feel like it makes the recipe extra special to my family and me.

      Delete
  4. Hi Elaine, I'm your new follower. You have a lovelly blog and I'm looking forward to reading your recipes. I love cheesecake and this looks delicious. I will participate in this blog hop.

    You can visit my blog at http://cake-cookie-pie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following! I look forward to checking out your blog as well. :)

      Delete
  5. i really enjoyed reading this post Elaine, the story behind the cheesecake, everything. So sweet! cheesecake is my ultimate weakness. the creamier, the better in my opinion! Loving the photos, too girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally! This recipe is pretty special to my family, so it only felt right to share that story on here. I'm working on the pictures! These were taken pretty quickly while I was home for Thanksgiving, so they aren't the best. Good thing cheesecake is hard to make look ugly. :)

      Delete
  6. I just want to eat anything called "Grammy's..."
    I always make cheesecakes with the 1/3 less fat cream cheese and cannot tell a difference but like knowing I'm saving a few fat grams. Cheesecake is my husband and one of my son's favorite desserts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every recipe from grandmothers always seem to taste better, don't they? I love using lower fat options, especially when you can't tell the difference. That way I justify eating an extra slice. :)

      Delete
  7. This looks awesome! My husband's fave dessert is cheesecake, and I just love how creamy this version looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is by far the creamiest cheesecake I've ever had. And you can't beat how easy it is to make!

      Delete
  8. I love cheesecake plain and with fruit. This one sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara! Cheesecake is a great blank slate for adding different ingredients and toppings to, but I love this cheesecake by itself. It's that good!

      Delete
  9. This looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! Thank you. :) I hope you give it a try!

      Delete
  10. I love cheesecake! This sounds awesome, and look how creamy! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, one of most favorite things!! Copying recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elaine,

    The cheesecake looks delicious. I haven't made cheesecake for a while but I'll give your Grammy's recipe a try. Also, I'm a new follower on Twitter.

    I've submitted a post to the blog hop for Shoofly Pie this week. Hope you get a chance to stop by. http://bakewelljunction.wordpress.com/2012/11/28/12-weeks-of-christmas-treats-week-10-shoofly-pie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annamaria! Thanks for following me on twitter! I'm going to stop by and check out your Shoofly Pie right this second. :)

      Delete
  13. I love cheesecake I havent had any in a while! I will be making this for Christmas dessert! Thanks Elaine for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be a great addition to your Christmas meal! So easy and delicious. :)

      Delete
  14. The cheesecake looks yummy! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Please come back Sunday to vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I'll be sure to vote tomorrow.

      Delete
  15. I love cheesecake! THis looks amazing! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is wonderful cheesecake, recipe is very good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Great Dr.OLIHA Herbal medicine is a good or perfect cure remedy for HIV Virus, I was diagnosed of HIV for almost 5 years, everyday i am always on research looking for a perfect way to get rid of this terrible disease as i always knew that what we need for our health is right here on earth though the scientist say there is know cure for this disease,on my search I saw some different testimony on how Dr. OLIHA has been able to cure HIV with is herbal medicine. I decided to contact this man, I contacted him and he guided me on how to purchase the medicine. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr. OLIHA herbal medicine, I’m very grateful to Dr. OLIHA, reach him now on (oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com ) or you can also call him on +2349038382931.

    Dr. OLIHA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
    9. Asthma
    10.Acute angle-closure Glaucoma
    11. Diabetes
    12.CHRONIC PANCREATIC
    13.CHLAMYDIA
    14.ZIKA VIRUS

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips