Healthy Eggplant Rollatini


This is one of my new favorite creations, hands down. I originally got the idea to substitute eggplant for lasagna noodles from my trusty source, Pinterest. While I was browsing Pinterest (which happens entirely too often), I stumbled across this Eggplant Rollatini Kraft recipe. It looked good enough and received high reviews, so I added it to my pin board.


A few weeks later while I was grocery shopping and preparing for my Dad's visit, I noticed eggplant was on sale. Lucky me! So using my Dad as a guinea pig, I tried the Kraft recipe. It turned out pretty well, but I made a few notes of things I would like to change. Since trying this recipe, I've taken advantage of every time eggplant is on sale so that I can continue to tweak the original recipe until it's to my liking. After three tries, I'm finally happy with the outcome. My Healthy Eggplant Rollatini recipe is delicious and oozing with yummy Italian flavors-it's so tasty that I surprise myself with how good it is for you! This is a great recipe to serve if you plan on having guests over. It's easy enough to make, so you aren't slaving away in the kitchen, and impressive to plate. Who wouldn't love these little roll-ups stuffed with a creamy filling? Give this recipe a try the next time you are craving an Italian feast, but don't want to break the diet plan.


Healthy Eggplant Rollatini
(Serves 6)

2 eggplants, ends trimmed, peeled
1 16-ounce container fat free ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 16-ounce jar spaghetti sauce (I used Francesco Rinaldi ToBe Healthy Garlic and Onion)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.

After eggplant has been trimmed and peeled, cut each eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place slices from one eggplant on microwave safe plate and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes, or until eggplant is tender. Pat eggplant pieces between towels to absorb extra moisture. Repeat steps for second eggplant.

Mix together ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, minced garlic, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Spoon about 1/4 cup of mixture onto each eggplant slice. Roll each slice and place seam side down in prepared baking dish. Cover eggplant rolls with spaghetti sauce and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese on top.

Cover dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Information:
6 servings:
Per serving:
Calories: 210
Fat: 7g
Fiber: 6.5g

Pros:
-Easy to make
-Ready in under an hour
-Nutritious and high in fiber
-Satisfies your Italian food cravings without all of the carbs and calories
-Great leftovers

Cons:
-Plating can be a tricky because eggplants tend to unroll; use a large spoon and remove rollatini one at a time to prevent this from happening

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips