Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Maple Sauce

Is there anyone else out there who thinks the name "Bread Pudding" sounds gross and unappetizing? The thought of bread that is mushy and pudding-like did not sit right with me. You also have to understand that I was that child that did not let her food touch because I didn't want to mix flavors and the thought of soggy anything (including cereal, bread, and, yes, Oreos and milk) made me gag. While I've matured a bit since my childhood, soggy things still don't really appeal to me. Because of the name, I refused to try any bread pudding until about a year ago. But one night,  I gave a it a try. And wouldn't you know that bread pudding is now one of my favorite desserts! Go figure.


To continue the pumpkin overload that I've been giving you, I decided to make one of my favorite bread pudding recipes: Pumpkin Bread Pudding.


I stumbled upon this recipe shortly after I discovered my love for bread pudding. Most bread pudding recipes use a base of milk, egg, and sugar, which you then soak the bread in and add various mix-ins, such as dried fruit or nuts. The thought of adding pumpkin to the mix is not only unique, but sounds downright delicious. And it is.


When I made this recipe for the first time a year ago, I did not make a sauce to accompany it. It is that good by itself. However, I do like the idea of a sauce, and a maple sauce seemed like it would complement the pumpkin well. And it does. Warm pumpkin bread pudding with a sweet maple sauce drizzled on top...now tell me that doesn't make you want to run to the kitchen and make this recipe pronto.

Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Maple Sauce (bread pudding adapted from Smitten Kitchen and sauce adapted from Whole Foods)
(9 servings)

Pumpkin Bread Pudding:
1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cups pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
5 cups cubed day old bread (I used 2 1/2 cups of cubed Buttermilk Oat Loaf bread and 2 1/2 cups English Raisin bread)
4 Tbsp unsalted butter

Maple Sauce:
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup fat free half and half
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

To make the bread pudding, mix the milk, granulated sugar, pumpkin, eggs, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl. Whisk until well combined. Add cubed bread to bowl and make sure all of the pieces are covered with pumpkin mixture. Let sit for at least 15 minutes (refer to notes below).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 4 tablespoons of butter in an 8 inch square baking dish and put in heated oven. Allow butter to melt and turn a golden brown. Remove from oven, pour bread mixture into pan, and put back into the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until custard is set. Serve warm with Maple Sauce.

While bread pudding is baking, prepare the sauce by adding brown sugar, maple syrup, half and half, and butter to a medium sauce pan. Heat mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently. Bring to a boil. Boil mixture for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract. Let mixture sit for about 10-15 minutes, or until it has cooled and thicken. Spoon over bread pudding.

A few notes:

-You can use any type of bread you want. Most bread pudding recipes recommend using day old crusty bread, such as a baguette. I've also seen recipes that use croissants. Keep in mind that the bread should be stale. If you are using fresh bread, simply turn your oven to 225 degrees, place cubed bread on a cookie sheet, and toast the bread for about 15 minutes.

-The longer you let the bread sit in the pumpkin mixture, the better. The longer you let the bread soak, the more it will absorb the pumpkin flavor. I was rushed when I made this recipe and could not let it soak very long. Because of this, the bread did not soak up much of the mixture and the inside of the bread cubes are still white. Letting the bread soak for an hour is ideal.

-Letting the butter turn a golden brown is optional. When you do this, it creates a more intense, rich, butter flavor. You can simply melt the butter and take it out before it turns golden brown if you don't want this flavor.

-Be sure to use a medium or large sauce pan when making the sauce. When the sauce boils, it triples in size. If you use a small sauce pan, you run the risk of the mixture over flowing. No bueno.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 9
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 365.5
Total Fat: 13.6 g
Cholesterol: 94.1 mg
Sodium: 290.8 mg
Total Carbs: 56.2 g
Fiber: 1.9 g
Sugars: 32.5 g
Protein: 7.4 g

Pros:
-Perfect fall dessert
-Pretty presentation
-Easy and quick to make
-Versatile- use different types of breads, serve a la carte, with sauce, with ice cream, or with whipped cream

Cons:
-High in calories and sugar

Overall Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Check out some of the link parties that I shared this recipe on!

10 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!! I would love for you to share at my linky party going on right now. http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/10/tasty-thursdays-11.html

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your link party with me. I went ahead and added this recipe. All of the recipes look great!

      Delete
  2. Mmm..sounds comforting and delicious! You can never go wrong with pumpkin anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! I'm certainly getting my pumpkin fill before the holidays roll around and I'm making mint/chocolate things for Christmas!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful recipe. Cannot wait to try this on my eager family. Come and visit us. We are having a great giveaway this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Let me know how they like it. And I just entered your giveaway! That book looks so interesting. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Wow your bread budding looks soooo good!!!! It looks so comforting! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! It is really comforting...perfect for fall :)

      Delete
  5. THat looks dangerously good...like is it cool to eat it for dinner? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been known to eat it for breakfast, so I'll go with yes!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips