Snickersnaps


As I mentioned in this post, I'm always looking for new ways to meet other bloggers and try new events and activities. One such event that I recently found is the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats blog hop, hosted by Meal Planning Magic. If you are a blogger and want to get in the Christmas spirit early this year, head on over to sign up!


Because I'm joining this blog hop a little late, I wanted to choose the perfect Christmas treat to start my involvement on the right foot. After searching through lots of recipes and brainstorming lots of ideas, I finally came across the perfect recipe.


Cue these Snickersnaps. Isn't that the coolest cookie name ever?! And the name is not the only awesome thing about this recipe. These marbled cookies are made from combining two classic recipes: Gingersnaps and Snickerdoodles. This idea is so simple, yet so fantastic! The end result is a soft cookie that is a perfect balance of subtly sweet flavors from the Snickerdoodle dough and aromatic spiciness from the Gingersnap dough. You'll definitely want to add this recipe to your list of treats to make this holiday season!


Snickersnaps (adapted from Bakergirl)
(about 4 dozen cookies)

Snickerdoodle cookie dough:
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tartar

Gingersnap cookie dough:
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
2 tsp ground ginger

1/2 cup cinnamon sugar to roll cookie dough in

To make Snickerdoodle cookie dough, cream together shortening and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and mix until well incorporated. Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Cover dough and place in refrigerator overnight.

To make Gingersnap cookie dough, cream together shortening and sugar. Add molasses and egg and mix until well incorporated. Add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ground ginger. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Cover dough and place in refrigerator overnight (this step is necessary).

When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Take a small amount of gingersnap dough (about 1/2 ounce) and roll it into a ball. Take a small amount of snickerdoodle dough (about 1/2 ounce) and knead it in your hands a couple of times. When the dough comes together, roll it into a ball. Take one ball of each cookie dough and roll them together to make one larger ball. Roll this larger ball in cinnamon sugar. Place cookie dough on nonstick cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. (Note: You might have a little more Gingersnap cookie dough left over at the end; I just rolled these into balls and baked them with the other cookies.)

Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes, or until cookies are set. Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 50
Amount Per Serving:
Calories:114.4
Total Fat: 5.3 g
Cholesterol: 10.3 mg
Sodium: 26.6 mg
Total Carbs: 15.8 g
Fiber: 0.3 g
Sugars: 9.4 g
Protein: 1.1 g

Pros:
-Unique cookie recipe
-Delicious
-Pretty presentation
-Great for parties or cookie swaps
-Perfect for the holidays

Cons:
-You have to plan in advance to make and refrigerate cookie dough overnight

Overall Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Check out some of the link parties that I shared this recipe on!

Check out all of the Christmas treats from this week! Click on the picture to see the full recipe.


52 comments:

  1. Haha this title made me laugh right away, Gingersnaps are my Mom's favorite cookie and Snickerdoodles are by brother's. Obviously I pretty much have to make them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you basically have no choice. Somehow I think they'll really appreciate if you make the cookies!

      Delete
  2. Elaine, these are the cutest cookies! Gingersnaps and snickerdoodles combined. I am in LOVE. The little hearts are the perfect little touch on top. And SO many cookies, wow! 4 dozen. I would need to find an army to help me eat all of those. You did a BRILLIANT job here! Two of my fave cookies in one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! And yes, the recipe made a TON. Good thing I'm headed home to visit family tomorrow, so I'll bring these cookies along as a little surprise. :)

      Delete
  3. these are too cute! And what a great flavor combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! The flavors really are a great pair!

      Delete
  4. Terrific combination of flavors and textures! Perfect for a Christmas cookie tray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louanne! These cookies are the perfect balance of textures and flavors. I think it's safe to say I plan on making these for all of my Christmas parties this year!

      Delete
  5. I just saw these somewhere online last week and I've been thinking of them quite a bit. Your cookies look really yum. I love the little hearts you managed to get on the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trisha! The hearts aren't hard to make and they create such a pretty presentation. If you end up making these cookies, definitely give the hearts a try!

      Delete
  6. I have heard of snickerdoodles not snickersnaps...looks good but I tells ya I fear hybrids (inside joke to me, yes i do that lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These cookies are a combo of Snickerdoodle and Gingersnap cookie dough, so I thought it was only appropriate to combine the names!

      Delete
  7. These are super cute and sound great! The hearts are a fun touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karyn! They were a lot of fun to make and I'm happy with how well they turned out.

      Hope the new haircut channels the Zoey look you are after. Can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  8. Oooh, I've never seen these before--LOVE this idea! Great selection for the 12 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! I tried hard to pick a great cookie recipe for my first week participating in the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats. Glad you approve! :)

      Delete
  9. These are adorable and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so yummy Dawn! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Couldn't think of a more perfect combination myself! I'm pinning these for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute! And now I have to make them because the name is just as great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha the name is almost as good as the cookies...almost! Thanks for stopping by Melissa!

      Delete
  12. Oh My these are amazing!!! I am going to put these on my Christmas Cookie Baking list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These snickersnaps look pretty neat. Great choice for joining the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annamaria. That means a lot! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Oh my gosh, I love these! Love the name, love the idea and look of combining two cookies! Will make these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katrina! I know you're going to love these cookies that much more after you bake them! So delicious.

      Delete
  15. Hi Elaine, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from Farmgirl Friday.

    Wow, not only do these sound delicious, but they're such clever little cookies! I've never seen anything like this before. Thanks for sharing!

    Anyway, it’s nice to “meet” you! Hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Thanks for stopping by and checking out this recipe. I will definitely check out Life on the Funny Farm. I love the name! :)

      Delete
  16. These are so cute! I'm so glad you signed up for the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I am too...it's been a lot of fun so far and I'm loving all of the recipes others submit. :)

      Delete
  17. These look DELICIOUS!! And I love the hearts on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caitlin! The hearts are one of my favorite things about this cookie. :)

      Delete
  18. Stopping by from the Marvelous Mondays link up - love your post! What a clever idea to mix the two types of cookies! I'm pinning this for later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two cookies in one! You'll love these. Thanks for clicking on my recipe Angela!

      Delete
  19. This is the best cookie I ever ate (and I've eaten lots)! JCA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for vouching for them! So glad that I can always count on you to try my creations. :)

      Delete
  20. These look amazing. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope you join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just linked up two more recipes! I always look forward to linking up to Foodie Friends Friday and seeing what other recipes are on there. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  21. Fantastic cookie creation, Elaine! I love gingersnaps and snickerdoodles so combining them into one super-cookie is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will absolutely love these Nancy! And you can make fun designs with the two flavors of cookie dough. I hope you give them a try! :)

      Delete
  22. Thank you so much for linking up at my linky party! I am pinning every post to my Show Me Your Plaid Monday's Board for all to see! I hope you come back each week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra! I'll be sure to stop by again! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips