Pumpkin Oatmeal Smoothie

With the cooler months rolling in, I am starting to wonder what I'm going to make instead of my daily smoothie. Smoothies just don't sound very appealing when it's as cold outside as it is in my smoothie glass. While I can't do much about the weather, I am able to adjust my smoothie ingredients based on the season. And this brings me to my new favorite smoothie: the Pumpkin Oatmeal Smoothie. This smoothie, which is very similar to my Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, incorporates one of the best things about fall: pumpkin. You know I couldn't resist!


What makes this recipe a little different from your average smoothie is the addition of oatmeal. I love the wholesome, nutty flavor that the raw oats give this smoothie. The oats also add thickness to the smoothie, which fools your taste buds into thinking this is more like a rich and delicious pumpkin milkshake rather than a good-for-you pumpkin smoothie.


One more ingredient that makes this recipe different better than your average smoothie is cottage cheese. Yes, you read that correctly. Cottage cheese is the secret ingredient to a super creamy smoothie. I am not a fan of eating cottage cheese, but when it's blended with all of the other smoothie ingredients, you can't even tell it's in there. All of you cottage cheese haters, just trust me on this. However, if you absolutely insist on avoiding cottage cheese like the plague, this smoothie will work just fine if you use yogurt instead.

Here's to enjoying the last few weeks of warm-ish weather with a seasonally appropriate and refreshing smoothie!

Pumpkin Oatmeal Smoothie
(1 serving)

1/2 banana
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup low fat no salt added cottage cheese
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup quick oats
2 packets stevia or sweetener of choice
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
handful of ice
optional: 1-3 tsp chia seeds

Add all of the ingredients to a blender. Blend for 30 seconds, or until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. If you want a thicker smoothie (more like a slushi), add another handful of ice; blend until smooth. Drink immediately.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 225.0
Total Fat: 4.6 g
Cholesterol: 5.0 mg
Sodium: 117.2 mg
Total Carbs: 39.0 g
Fiber: 6.5 g
Sugars: 13.1 g
Protein: 11.6 g

Pros:
-Quick and easy to make
-Healthy
-Great source of fiber and protein
-No refined sugar
-A good breakfast, snack, or dessert

Cons:
-Possible brain freeze

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5

Check out some of the link parties that I shared this recipe on!

14 comments:

  1. ok. I want to JUMP right through the screen and slurp this up Elaine!! yum. I've never put oats in a smoothie before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've gotta try it! It sounds a little strange, but I promise it is amazing. It adds a subtle wholesome flavor while still letting the yummy pumpkin-ness shine through. And it makes the smoothie extra thick!

      Delete
  2. This smoothie sounds sooo good!!! And I love the idea of using oats in it! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good! You should give it a try :) Thanks for clicking on my recipe at Foodie Friends Friday!

      Delete
  3. you still have me at pumpkin. I am sooooooo gonna try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite smoothies, hands down. You'll love it!

      Delete
  4. I thought it would taste weird ...until I tried it. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound a bit odd at first, but I love it! So glad you enjoyed it too. :)

      Delete
  5. Tried this for the first time on Monday and loved it! I'm a vegetarian, so I'm always looking for ways to get more protein into my diet, and I felt this was a great way - sneak some cottage cheese into a smoothie! I ended up putting 1/3 cup of cottage cheese in to get even more protein. Took the suggestion to add some chia seeds and added some flax meal as well. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried pineapple pumpkin oatmeal smoothie and it was the best smoothie I had ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome smoothie especially since winter won't go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! Hopefully warmer weather is right around the corner. Glad you've been enjoying this smoothie!

      Delete
  8. I tried this last night and LOVED it!! Thanks so much for sharing. I used non-fat ricotta and flax seeds instead (because that's what I had) and it turned out great. I even doubled the recipe and put half of it in the fridge and it kept well overnight. Now I need to go check out your other recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to be making this! It sounds great -- my daughter loves pumpkin so she will love it, I think. There is no reason to use the quick cooking oats if you have the old-fashioned kind on hand. I use the old-fashioned kind in all sorts of things that aren't cooked, including mixing with other cold cereals for a bowl for breakfast. I'm also going to try this with cooked steel-cut oats. I make them for my great-grandson for breakfast almost every morning and frequently make extra. I put the excess in the fridge for the next day.

    Question: Do you think Greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese would work? Maybe a little less other liquid. I think I'll try that, as well, because I almost always have the yogurt but don't have cottage cheese that often.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips