Pumpkin Chili

Chili is one of my go-to dinners in the fall and winter months. It is super easy to make, hearty, and can easily be re-heated and eaten for lunch or dinner the next day. Two thumbs up in my book!


One thing that I'm not a fan of is muddying my chili with carbs. No rice or cornbread for me, please and thank you. I'm a huge fan of cornbread and love it on the side, but don't even think about crumbling that yellow muffin near my chili. I realize this might sound odd, but I think chili, if made right, has enough flavor and texture as is.


If you've never had the pleasure of eating chili that is made the right way, then you should give this recipe a shot. For one, this recipe is made in the crock pot. Easy peasy. Another selling point of this chili is the addition of pumpkin. This unique ingredient does not overpower the chili; rather, the pumpkin adds some oomph and depth of flavor. And for all of you manly men out there, this chili is packed full of meat. Yes, that meat might be skinny ground turkey, but it's still meat! Feel free to substitute ground beef or even stew beef cubes to make this chili extra hearty.

The next time you are searching for a dinner recipe to make, look no further. And don't be surprised if you find yourself eating this chili with the cornbread on the side.

Pumpkin Chili (adapted from The Realistic Nutritionist)
(6-8 servings)

20 ounces 93% lean ground turkey
3 shallots, diced
1 tsp garlic
1 cup chopped mushrooms
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
1 15-ounce can low sodium diced tomatoes, undrained
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add turkey and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned (it does not have to be cooked all the way through). Remove from skillet and add to crock pot. Using the same skillet, spray more cooking spray and then add shallots, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant and soft. Add to crock pot. Add remaining ingredients to crock pot. Stir ingredients together. Cook over low heat for 6-8 hours.

Print this recipe!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 211.3
Total Fat: 5.5 g
Cholesterol: 50.0 mg
Sodium: 91.3 mg
Total Carbs: 21.9 g
Fiber: 7.6 g
Sugars: 4.2 g
Protein: 20.3 g

Pros:
-Easy to make
-Unique chili recipe
-Healthy
-High in fiber and protein
-Great leftovers

Cons:
-This chili is not spicy at all (this could be a pro or con depending on your preferences); add a few dashes of Texas Pete to fix this

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5

10 comments:

  1. This is the second recipe for pumpkin chili...either I can not creative enough to think of that or out to lunch! That looks and sounds awesome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving all things pumpkin right now, so I'd add it to just about anything!

      Delete
  2. This sounds very interesting...I always think of pumpkins as being more of a sweet, but this chili sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too! I decided to branch out and try some savory recipes using pumpkin, and I have not been disappointed! You should give it a try. :)

      Delete
  3. I almost died when I saw that your recipe for chili has pumpkin in it (... I'm a little obsessed with pumpkin right now). I am SO making this on a cold day! And I love the fact that you can just throw it in the crock pot and leave it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little obsessed with pumpkin at the moment too! This is about the tenth recipe I've made with pumpkin. Can't get enough! And even though this chili isn't the most photogenic meal, it is sooo delicious. You'll love it!

      Delete
  4. What great flavours and good nutrition too. Thanks for sharing this. I've pinned it for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. This Chili is cooking in my crockpot right now thanks to you. Thank you!! I'm so excited

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Kristina! How'd it turn out??

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips